Friday, September 2, 2016

September to Remember: Day 2

2nd – Best summer reads recap


This is a tough one but last year it would have been tougher since I didn't read anything. Now that I read on the train though I actually have a selection to choose from.

Unfortunately, I went on a real dry spell during the summer months of books I wouldn't rate higher than 3 stars on Goodreads. But there are 2 that stick out that I would deem Best Fiction and Best Non-Fiction of my summer reads.

Fiction - The Last Unicorn by Peter S. Beagle, 1968
Non-Fiction - Pedro by Pedro Martinez w/ Michael Silverman, 2015

The Last Unicorn is 48 years old but really it's timeless. I had heard it was one of the best Fantasy novels ever and I can't say I disagree. It's an easy read; great for both kids and adults. When describing it to Brig I called it a "fairy tale within a fairy tale." (Yes, I quote myself.) I think that is apt but it's also so much more. Trust me on this and borrow it from your local library.

Pedro Martinez is a Hall of Fame pitcher who spent his best years with the Red Sox. He was always a character and one of "The 25" who broke the Curse of the Bambino to bring Boston their first World Series title in 86 years. This was a great book because it showed Pedro before he was an All Star but just a kid from the Dominican Republic following in his brother's footsteps. It's a story with a little something for everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment