Saturday, September 10, 2016

September to Remember: Day 10

10th –Most embarrassing moment in life, described in great detail (bonus points if said moment happened during the fall)

I doubt this is the most embarrassing moment of my life but I must have blocked from my memory whatever the absolute worst thing was.

I was taking Calculus my senior year of high school and the teacher had a very basic question. What makes something a parallelogram. Somehow I get called on. My brain goes completely blank. I'm stumbling over my words and saying correct but not really facts like "it has four sides" and "it's opposite sides are the same length". I'm struggling to find the right word and I'm quietly racking my brain and the teacher isn't moving off me to ask anyone else so there's this awkward silence and the feeling of all eyes on me. If that wasn't bad enough, I hear somebody from across the room say, kind of under their breath but loudly enough for me to hear and probably out of pity or a desire to not waste the entire period on this ridiculousness, "the sides are parallel." I repeated it back to the teacher and then died. I took nothing away from class that day because my head and heart were racing from that soul destroying exchange.

I think the fact that another student had to help me answer was the most embarrassing part. Or maybe the fact that the answer was right in the name of the shape and I couldn't get it. Or maybe because up until that point I thought I was actually smart. Oh well.

No comments:

Post a Comment