Wednesday, December 26, 2012

The New Nutcracker

The past few years I've started a tradition of going to the Boston Opera House to see Mikko Nissinen's version of The Nutcracker. My family never went when I was a kid so when I first moved to Boston I thought it would be cool to make it my thing. (Just read last year's post.)

Anyway, this year was the first year Boston Ballet used new sets, costumes and props. At first, I was hesitant. The intro was different, the living room scene felt a little off, and for much of the first act I felt gypped. What got everything back on course was when midnight hit and everything turned crazy. The Nutcracker is a man! The Rat King is a great swordsman! From that point on I was in like Flint.

Overall, I give it 2 thumbs up. Most of my early issues revolved around the new sets and trying to find everything in its new place. (The tree is in the center of the stage now instead of the left. The grandfather clock is in the front left instead of the back right.) Once you acclimate yourself though you will be happy as a clam. And for anyone who hasn't seen Boston Ballet's performance before this will be a complete non-issue. It is running through December 30 so make sure to check it out while you still have a chance!

2 comments:

  1. I still can't believe you didn't know it was a story. Hope you still remember it!

    Also, I think the tree used to always be centered until it moved venues a few years ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I had quite a few misconceptions as to what I was getting into. It was mystical in a way that only seeing it for the first time and having no idea what is happening can be.

      Delete