Friday, December 16, 2011

The Nutcracker

Last night we continued our holiday tradition of going to see The Nutcracker performed by the Boston Ballet at the Boston Opera House. This year is actually the final year they are using these props, costumes and effects. They have been in use for nearly 20 years and I am happy to say I got to see them the past 3 years.

When I was a kid we never went to see The Nutcracker (A fact further impressed on me when I couldn’t follow the story my first time). I remember some of my classmates mentioning it in elementary school and I didn’t get it. Why would anyone want to see a ballet anyway? But really, I was curious and a little jealous.

Fast forward many years to 2009. I had already been living in Boston for 2 years but hadn’t bumped into The Nutcracker at all. Yet one fateful day I was on Twitter and noticed something the indispensable @BostonTweet had posted. It was a link to Boston Ballet’s website where you could purchase tickets that day for 15% off. I was excited and intrigued so I went all in and haven’t looked back.

Now that I know the plot I absolutely adore going and I consider this my new Christmas tradition. It’s nice to dress up and go out and watch the fine arts. Have a sit down dinner and feel refined. But come on, it’s for the young at heart. The bear? One-armed gingerbread man? The black sheep? You got me -- I am the lowest common denominator and I love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment