Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Wonderful Christmastime

It’s funny how things change. When I was a kid there was nothing I hated more than getting clothes. Now I’m actually excited about new dress socks or ties for the office.

I used to pray for a huge gift like a Game Boy, Nintendo 64 or PlayStation 2. Now I want practical stuff for my home like a space heater and wine glasses (But I’d be lying to you if I said I wasn’t jealous of my sister’s new Kindle Fire).

Probably the clearest difference, though, is that I never used to be able to sleep on Christmas Eve. I'd have the hardest time falling asleep and then I’d be up by 6 am. It was tough having to wait for everyone else to wake up so we could finally open the presents. This year we opened presents at 9 am and still had to wake up my siblings.

However, I do take much more pride in the giving of gifts now than receiving. I realize that I’ve lived my life without these “presents” and if I don’t get something I want that I will be able to continue living without it-- Or break down and buy it. That’s the other advantage to being an adult.

No comments:

Post a Comment