Thursday, December 22, 2011

The office yankee swap

With the holidays come many traditions. Some of these take place in the workplace such as secret santas or yankee swaps. Yesterday, my team had a yankee swap.

I’ve only been at this company for 3 weeks so I’m glad we didn’t do a secret santa. I don’t know people well enough yet. My real concern coming in to this was if I should play it safe or not. The safe gifts include Starbucks/Dunkin Donuts gift cards and booze. I was heavily considering picking up a bottle of something but decided that wouldn’t be very exciting. So I went on a Target trip to find some inspiration. They had plenty of cheap things but nothing I thought would be good for a yankee swap. Until I saw it... a lava lamp. It was perfect because it wasn't a standard gift and you can put it on your desk at work.

When we started the swap we put all our (wrapped) gifts in the middle of the table. Mine got picked first because it looked so bad ass. Then the person with #2 actually swapped for it. Boy was I feeling good! But that was the end of it. #2 kept it the rest of the time and pretty much every other gift was a bottle or a gift card. For a second, I had a bottle of Wild Turkey but lost it in a swap for a Starbucks card. Which was great because I don’t drink coffee. But hey, first person to comment gets it!

2 comments:

  1. that gift card is already spoken for! (but I figured I'd comment first to play it safe) What number were you in the swap?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats! The card is yours. I had #4 out of 10.

    ReplyDelete