Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Book Review: My Lucky Life In and Out of Show Business

by: Dick Van Dyke

I want to preface this post by saying I enjoyed this book. It was a quick, easy read about an actor who I like and enjoy. However, it was probably a bad idea to read it immediately after Steve Jobs.

It was nice to read about the golden age of television and see how actors back then had real talents like singing and dancing. Van Dyke is 75% of the way to an EGOT, only missing an Oscar. That is an especially amazing feat since he is known primarily for only 4 things: The Dick Van Dyke Show, Mary Poppins, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, and Diagnosis Murder.

The only problem with this book is the one I read before it. I was still in the frame of mind of Walter Isaacson’s take on Steve Jobs’ life and it carried over to this read. First of all, one is a biography and one is a memoir. That’s a huge difference. I’m not saying Van Dyke was trying to spin anything in his favor but obviously it was written from his perspective. Second, there was no dirt. Van Dyke is known for being clean cut and staying out of tabloid trouble which is fine, of course, except that I had already been immersed in the Apple exposé known as Steve Jobs.

Anyway, it’s a good read if you’re a fan of Dick Van Dyke but make a point to buffer it with some lighter fare (or maybe I’m just weird).

No comments:

Post a Comment