Thursday, December 15, 2011

Good Eats: Old Country Buffet

I had never heard of Old Country Buffet until my girlfriend started raving about it. Their tagline is “The best buffet in America.” Now that I’ve had my first taste I would be willing to bestow upon it “The best non-Chinese buffet in America” because you can’t beat the Chinese.

This place was surprisingly good. Why was I surprised? The location of the one we visited was in Ghetto Glen Meadow Glen Mall which I don’t frequent except for one Kohl’s trip to get my Steve Jobs Halloween costume. Plus, there were a lot of families present and I was getting flashbacks to the chaotic Target Pizza Hut we ate at in a time of weakness. But everyone was actually really well behaved and it wasn’t insanely loud with kids running around or anything like that.

The layout of the buffet was pretty cool. There was a salad section, an American(?) section (roast, chicken, other stuff), an Italian section, a Mexican section, plus fruits and desserts. The only bad thing I found was some undercooked chicken which they immediately replaced when it was brought to their attention. They had some solid beverage choices too and I had a couple glasses of chocolate milk (so good).

The only real negative is that it was a little pricey. Three people cost $40. It’s kind of tough for a family of 4 or 5 to throw that down with any regularity. Anyway, it was a nice treat.

1 comment:

  1. you forgot to mention how much you enjoyed the nacho cheese ; )

    ReplyDelete