Tuesday, July 17, 2012

The hosts with the most


Saturday was my sister’s birthday. Since we had friends staying with us over the weekend we weren’t able to go to her party but we did take her out to dinner Friday night. We went to Margarita’s which was funny for a couple reasons. First, my old apartment was near a Margarita’s and Brig & I went a few times, including one memorable Cinco de Mayo. Second, when we were younger and still living in NH my siblings and I would get birthday coupons from Margarita’s so we would inevitably go a couple times a year. This Margarita’s we hadn’t been to yet so it seemed like the obvious choice. It was much bigger than we expected and the food came through as always.

After dinner, Brig’s friends Michele & Tony arrived from NYC. We talked into the night and made plans to do the Sam Adams Brewery tour on Saturday. Well, Saturday happened and the 4 of us were on the subway to the brewery when Tony looked at me and said, “Hey, are you hungry?” I said yes, of course, because it was almost Noon and we had put off breakfast. “Are there any good spots near the brewery?” I was pretty sure our chances were bleak so I mentioned a place Brig & I had been to before that was coming up at the next stop. So I ever so sweetly asked the girls if they would mind pacifying us with some brunch before beer and they acquiesced.

We went to Joe’s American Bar & Grill right on the waterfront. Their brunch deal is great because it comes with a free adult drink (bloody mary, screwdriver, mimosa, etc.) I tried eggs benedict for the first time in my life and they were delicious. Brig got a fancy omelette that looked great too.

After brunch we were heading back to the subway to continue our trip to the brewery but I was concerned we wouldn’t make it. The brewery stops doing tours at 3:00 and it was already closing in on 1:00. They usually have long waits and don’t take reservations so we were really taking a chance at that hour. We instead decided to head over to Fenway to show our guests "America's Most Beloved Ballpark".

We got off at Kenmore and were walking towards the field when we saw a bunch of people in blue shirts with viking hats. Apparently, they were doing a beer marathon and most of the bars were in this general area. FML. We went to Bleacher Bar so Michele & Tony could look into centerfield but the place quickly got crowded and annoying. We decided to leave after one round to try and find somewhere without these vikings. We ended up at Jerry Remy’s because Brig has been dying to check out their roof deck. As luck would have it, no vikings! We spent the whole afternoon there and tried out some new beers: Brooklyn Summer, Green Monsta IPA and Hell or High Watermelon.

Sunday, we went out to Saus (as you know) and then said our goodbyes. On the way back, Brig bought a pair of Sperry’s and I bought a new pair of Toms. I had some new Old Navy shorts that I wanted to wear but realized I didn’t have any shoes I liked them with. So, the situation had to be rectified. Now I’m straight stylin’.

1 comment:

  1. I don't think there was anything sweet about "We're getting off here for brunch...ya'll are welcome to join us if you want."

    Hell or High Watermelon - never again!

    ReplyDelete