Monday, July 16, 2012

Good Eats: Saus


Saus is a little Belgian restaurant in the strip of bars between Faneuil and Haymarket. They are known for their waffles and fries but they take their name from the smorgasbord of sauces they have available.

We were the first people there (it opens at Noon on Sundays) but it filled up quickly. By the time we had finished the rest of the tables were full with customers. We were there with another couple so we were able to try multiple sauces. We ordered a large fry with the vampire slayer dipping sauce (garlic-y) and they ordered theirs with the cheddar & duvel ale (Belgian beer) sauce. Then we got a waffle with caramel sauce and they got one with lemon sauce.

The fries were absolutely fantastic. I actually preferred the cheese/ale sauce but even without dipping them the fries were top notch. However, the waffle was way too sweet for me. It was definitely more dessert-y than what we Americans eat as a breakfast food. Brig downed it with no trouble though. (Of course she did.)

For an entrĂ©e, I ordered a frikandel sandwich which they described as a hamburger/sausage type deal. I got the double cheddar version (another awesome sauce) and it was the greatest new thing I’ve tried in a long time. Remember our trip to Jacob Wirth when I tried knockwurst for the first time and found I liked it? (Insert blog link; wait, I didn't write one because Brig beat me to it and she didn't mention the food at all.) This frikandel blows it away as far as a new taste that I enjoy.

If that somehow doesn’t catch your interest they have other sandwiches like a chicken wrap and faux falafel (no chickpeas). I want to go back to get another frikandel and try a new sauce. There are so many choices you will never run out of options… or excuses to stop going. Let’s eat our way through the menu!

1 comment: