Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Good Eats: R.F. O’Sullivan’s

It’s important to note that I am a burger fanatic. Ham-, Cheese-, Bacon-… use pretty much any prefix and count me in. But I go beyond fast food burgers. And I go further than Fuddruckers and Five Guys chains too. I crave creativity. Previous adventures have taken me to Mr. Bartley’s in Harvard Square and Boston Burger Co. in Davis Square. This time we headed to Porter Square for another burger bonanza.

Much like the former two restaurants, R.F. O’Sullivan’s has a large and interesting menu. Many combinations of ingredients and twists on old favorites make each of their burgers unique. But what really sets them apart is their “no squish” rule. To make the burger cook faster, most people press down on the patty with a spatula -- thus releasing all the juices. Here, the owner doesn’t allow it. Their burgers are some of the thickest around because of it. The obvious downside to that is your order will take longer to cook. Luckily, they have a liquor license and beer always makes the time pass faster.

I want to mention that they aren’t known for their onion rings but most repeat visitors will order them. That’s because their fries are a bit misleading. They are not fries in the normal sense, or even big steak fries, rather they’re potato wedges. Now wedges can be good in their own right but only when you’re expecting them. These caught me off guard and were only OK.

Go for the burgers, stay for the beer, order the onion rings and thank me later.

No comments:

Post a Comment