Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Movie Review: The Hunger Games

I read the books, I read the reviews and I read the opening weekend tweets, but it was finally time for me to see The Hunger Games.

Going into it I had mixed feelings about the cast. Actually, I was fine with everyone except Peeta and Gale. (And to a lesser extent Haymitch but only because I thought Woody Harrelson was too well known.) I didn’t know much about Josh Hutcherson except that he was kind of annoying in The Kids Are All Right and that he starred in Journey to the Center of the Earth and its sequel. He seemed small-ish and not the strong Peeta I had envisioned. Who did seem more like my idea of Peeta was the actor they cast as Gale, Liam Hemsworth. Hemsworth, of course, is famous for being Thor's brother.

Hutcherson really won me over though. He was pretty great at not getting lost in all the Katniss hype and his rapport with Caesar Flickerman was absolutely hilarious. Hemsworth meanwhile is probably more excited for the coming sequels when he will have a bigger part.

I mentioned Haymitch earlier and after seeing the movie I thought Harrelson ended up being a great choice. Somebody mentioned that if anyone deserved their own backstory movie (a la Wolverine) it should be Haymitch and I completely agree. They had to speed through his transformation in the film but there’s just so much uncharted territory there.

It’s completely outrageous that I haven’t mentioned Jennifer Lawrence yet. She is the movie, plain and simple. This girl is going to be a star.

4.5 out of 5

1 comment:

  1. I knew that kid would make a great Peeta! And that's a cool idea, to make a backstory about Haymitch...that's a whole other book (and movie) right there!

    ReplyDelete