Monday, February 13, 2012

Something funny happened on the way to the zoo...

Before I met my girlfriend I hadn’t been to a zoo since I was a kid. Because of that I assumed that they were a place for kids and not something that would mesh with my pseudo-adult interests. However, I have been to 3 zoos in the past year and I freaking love them.

Just yesterday we were at the Roger Williams Park Zoo in Providence. Before that was the Audubon Zoo in New Orleans. And all the way back last summer I visited the Rosamond Gifford Zoo in Syracuse. Wow!

I can’t believe what I’ve been missing all these years. Elephants, giraffes, lions, tigers, monkeys, seals, the list goes on and on. It is so cool to see these wild animals up close. It’s really an opportunity you would never get otherwise. I mean, humans have pretty poor attacking abilities (perfectly manicured nails, sharpness-lacking teeth) and aren’t that quick for running away. All we have is intelligence which will only come in handy if you can fashion some weapons MacGyver style from shit lying nearby. So it’s fascinating to see these creatures relaxed and unthreateningly.

There are some things I’ve learned about zoos too. Never go between 12-1:30 because the animals are taking their post-lunch naps. Also, if you can, go when it’s 30 degrees out (like yesterday) so you’ll have the place pretty much to yourself. Some of the animals were off exhibit of course because of the cold (zebras, emus, river otters) but others were just moved inside where we could still enjoy them (elephants, giraffes, tortoises).

It’s pretty much a win-win because you get the ability to view something you wouldn’t ordinarily see and the price of admission goes toward helping take care of these animals and protect some of them that are endangered. Take your kids but better yet take your camera. You never know when Willie the mini donkey will start braying and you won’t have your camera out to capture it (You couldn’t have waited 5 more seconds, Willie?)

2 comments:

  1. zoo's rock! and you still have the franklin park zoo to look forward to! (rest assured, seeing it in real-life will be much better than the trainwreck that was in "the zookeeper")

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's time for a road trip to Philly to visit America's first zoo!

    ReplyDelete