Monday, February 27, 2012

Movie Review: Midnight in Paris

I’ve been wanting to see this movie since it was released early last year. I am a Woody Allen fan although I can’t claim to have seen even 50% of his work. Annie Hall is timeless and 2008’s Vicky Cristina Barcelona proved he still had it.

Midnight in Paris is a very cool concept (and won an Oscar for Best Original Screenplay). Every night at midnight, Owen Wilson is transported back in time to the 1920s. Wilson plays a Hollywood screenwriter who is trying to become a serious author. He is in Paris with his fiancée (Rachel McAdams playing a bitch, as always) and she detests everything he loves about it.

Wilson’s favorite era is the ‘20s and he feels like he was born in the wrong time. Amazingly, he gets drunk one night and is transported back into the world of F. Scott Fitzgerald, Ernest Hemingway, Cole Porter, Gertrude Stein, Pablo Picasso and many, many more. The settings in this movie are absolutely gorgeous. I don’t know how much work the set designer actually had because Paris doesn’t need any touching up.

It was really interesting seeing these famous people come to life and to see and hear just how intellectual they were. But they also had so much fun. There were parties every night, alcohol was a constant, and stealing spouses was the norm (I’m looking at you, Hemingway).

I enjoyed the film but didn’t fall in love with it. I almost felt preoccupied while I was watching it (which never happens to me). It’s a cool movie though, and definitely something to check out.


3.5 out of 5

1 comment:

  1. If Rachel McAdams isn't a bitch in real life, she's the best actress ever.

    ReplyDelete