Thursday, February 9, 2012

I'm a balla, baby

I am in the weirdest fantasy basketball league. Normally, I’m in 2 leagues a year but I’ve been trying to stop completely. I just don’t pay it as much attention as I did in college. Unlike fantasy football and baseball -- which I still make time for -- I usually show up for the basketball draft and then never look at my team again. So I was extremely close to going cold turkey this year. But my girlfriend’s friend was looking for another player so I joined. (I really had to resist the urge to join a second league that I was invited to as well. It would have been the same cycle all over again.)

I looked at the league categories and positions and it seemed pretty standard. Easy enough. What I didn’t even realize until one of my colleagues pointed it out a week or two into the season is that it isn’t a normal scoring league. It isn’t head-to-head or even rotisserie. It’s a combination of the two which is practically unheard of. It takes all your points for the week, regardless of category, and if your team has more than your opponent overall then you win the week. That changes everything! I need to go heavy on guards who score more and don’t even have to worry about extra centers because it doesn’t matter what stats they get (blocks, rebounds) as long as overall they are getting a lot of points.

I actually feel kind of cheated because this is such a weird situation. I’ve never been in anything like this and it really takes all the thought out of the game and having to choose between a guy who get you 3’s and a guy who gets you steals. Since the categories don’t matter at all it really is a basic, basic league. So of course now I need to back all this talk up and win the damn thing. See you in April.

No comments:

Post a Comment