Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Book Review: Shoeless Joe

by: W.P. Kinsella

If I hadn’t seen Field of Dreams I probably would not have been able to get into this book. It is so fantastical and it seems to come out of nowhere. Ray and his family are normal Iowa farmers trying to get by and then all this supernatural stuff starts happening. I like how Wikipedia describes it as a “magic realist” novel because that’s exactly what it is and why it seems so off-putting at first. You’re expecting ‘real’ and then you get blindsided by ‘magic’.

I also think it helped that I had seen the movie because I could picture the story more easily in my mind. I know people love books because the reader can imagine whatever they want but I liked being transported to the scenes of a movie that I really enjoy. Plus, Kinsella is very wordy in his visual descriptions and it can feel tedious at times. Instead, I could imagine their lines of dialogue and pick out which ones came directly from the book.

My recommendation is to stick with Kevin Costner and James Earl Jones for a more enjoyable experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment