Monday, November 14, 2011

Duck, duck, duck, duck, goose

You know the old adage "Give them an inch and they'll take a mile"? That's how I felt missing Friday's post. I gave myself an inch and I took a mile.

Let me explain. When I find a cool, new thing I enjoy I will immerse myself in it 100%. It will take over my life. For example, January 2010 I spent watching the first 5 seasons of Lost. I had never watched it before but Hulu was streaming the whole series before the final season began in February. I dove in and before long I was addicted. Every night after work I would watch 2-3 episodes. I would spend the weekend doing nothing but crushing another 20 episodes. I'll admit it was ridiculous. At some point between seasons 3-4 I gave myself a break. It was just a day to relax and focus on something else. Problem was, the next day I didn't want to go back to it. Or the next day. It snowballed so that I wasted a perfectly good week without watching a single episode. I was disappointed in myself that I let it happen. Then I had to scramble to watch the last couple seasons before the final season opener began. I made it but it all felt forced after that week off.

The same can be said about my old music blog, The Tracklist. I was really into it for about 2 years and then I started slacking on listening to new albums. Now I can't even convince myself that I ever have 45 minutes available. I think the only albums I listened to cover to cover this year were Death Cab for Cutie, Radiohead and The Lonely Island. I listened to 40+ albums last year!

So, you can see why I was nervous after missing Friday's post. Really, it shouldn't be that big a deal but I have a history with these things. Do I actually intend on posting 5 days a week for the foreseeable future? No, but I do like updating with some regularly. Let me know in the comments what you would recommend as a more comfortable blogging schedule.

1 comment:

  1. I think you've got a good thing going w/ the amount you're posting. Too many, and it becomes a chore to read (and probably for you to write) Too few and you lose interest. You've struck a good balance, BB!

    ReplyDelete