Thursday, November 3, 2011

Good Eats: Burritos Express

WOW. I wish I could type that in bubble letters because this was the biggest, fattest burrito I have ever seen. This is no Boloco, Qdoba or Chipotle. This is no Margarita’s or Border CafĂ©. This is Burritos Express. The website doesn’t look like much and, really, neither does the restaurant. I have been working/eating in the Financial District for 4 years now and I have never once heard of nor seen this establishment. As a matter of fact, it was pure luck that I found out about it at all.

I spent the hour before lunch deciding where I would spend my hour for lunch. I was going through all the usual spots in my head but decided I wanted something new. I pulled out my iPhone to check out other local eateries. I stumbled upon a Mexican place called Andalé (related to Zocalo of all places) and started reading the Yelp reviews. A few people mentioned a place called Burritos Express as being a solid alternative. So I decided to give it a shot.

It was located right around the corner from a restaurant I’ve been to a few times and immediately across the street from State Street’s Boston HQ. It’s a small place but it was clean and colorful. There was absolutely no line – I take lunch at 1:00 to avoid the rush – and I ordered a steak burrito with sour cream.* Their burritos are served with lettuce, rice, beans, pico de gallo, cheese and salsa. But the best thing about it was the crispness of the wrap. It wasn’t just a soft outer layer to hold all the ingredients, it had a nice texture to it and was clearly an important part of their formula. I will add that it didn’t have much of a salsa kick to it. I like my Mexican fairly mild so it was fine by me but some people may not be so understanding.

I managed to finish the whole thing and not pass out at my desk in a food coma (a real feat). Make sure you are hungry when you go so you can get your money’s worth. And preferably on your day off so you can loosen your belt, lie down and recuperate.


*Sour cream and guacamole are $.75 extra. Each. I decided to add just the one.

No comments:

Post a Comment