Monday, November 21, 2011

MLS Cup ≠ Super Bowl

MLS Cup 2011 was held last night. The championship was played between the LA Galaxy and Houston Dynamo. The Galaxy, you may know, are home to Landon Donovan and David Beckham, two of the most exciting and well-known players in MLS. So why, pray tell, did Commissioner Don Garber schedule this game on a Sunday night directly opposite America's favorite sport?

I have been trying to figure out one good reason why this would make sense, and with the exception of football vs futbol jokes and saying soccer and football are on the same playing field (at least literally), there is no practical reason. As it stands, it does a huge disservice to MLS. It was televised on ESPN which should garner some respect (unlike ESPN2 or Versus) but they could have played it any other night of the week (Monday notwithstanding) and found a larger number of viewers.

The whole idea is to grow your audience beyond just the core set of fans. MLS can't do that going up against the NFL. They are just further segregating their audience and upsetting some soccer fanatics who also enjoy football. Why make us choose?

The real credit should go to ESPN for giving this issue considerably more thought than MLS did and simulcasting the game on ESPN3.com. I know I'm not the only person who had Giants/Eagles on the TV and Galaxy/Dynamo on my laptop.

MLS needs to figure things out quickly because Beckham is most assuredly leaving now that his 5-year "I'm going to make soccer popular in America" contract is over. All of these great storylines were leading up to last night's game, but thanks to MLS, almost no one knew.

1 comment:

  1. I will say it was on in a bar in Canton...on two tvs. The other 10 had football, but I actually think that's a good ratio.

    I still don't think it will ever be popular here just because it isn't homegrown. My cousins were just here from Ireland and football was on everywhere-no interest at all (also, they're pansies, wear too much padding and why in feckin' hell is it called football?). And apparently Notre Dame is playing the Navy at Trinity in Dublin next summer or something...none of my relatives knew...or cared. Including the Dublinites. I just think any country gets stuck in it's own ways. It's unfortunate I think.

    ReplyDelete