Sunday, October 9, 2011

Perception: Person vs User

Hi, my name is Brent and I am a person.

Hi, my name is Yeewuz and I am a user.

Our generation has an interesting duplicity; we have ourselves and we have our online selves. Some people log in and become characters completely unlike themselves. Some people are just who they are in real life but under a pseudonym (user name).

I have been wondering how people would be able to find information about me. Of course, the first thing someone would do is to Google my name. What does that bring up? My Facebook page, LinkedIn & work-related items, and some other people with my name. Nothing too enlightening there since I don't use Facebook as my online HQ. Plus, with multiple people popping up, how can someone be sure which information is for the right Brent?

Now if you try this exercise but type in my user name instead, the floodgates open. There are way more hits that pop up in a variety of places and you can be assured that they are all mine. No multiple Yeewuz's out there. This search gives a much clearer picture of who I am and what my interests are.

Let's face it, family members or bosses or whomever else may be trying to track you down are going to search for your name. That's why I don't put anything on Facebook that isn't public knowledge. I am who I am (We R Who We R?) but it feels good having an outlet for my innermost thoughts and off the cuff remarks that I won't have to answer to in real life. It's nobody's business except who I want to share it with and only my good friends and complete internet strangers know the name Yeewuz. It's funny how much more comfortable that can make you feel.

No comments:

Post a Comment