Monday, October 10, 2011

ESPN – The E is for Entertainment

Entertainment & Sports Programming Network. Sometimes I forget that fact because unlike MTV, which no longer plays music*, ESPN still shows sporting events. But they are also in the entertainment business. Perhaps that is why their ESPN ScoreCenter app sent me breaking alerts regarding the death of Steve Jobs and the killing of Osama bin Laden. Things I would never expect to be reported on by ESPN I am first hearing about via their app. I'm not complaining -- I think it's awesome, albeit weird. How do they decide which non-sports stories are momentous enough to be pinged?

ESPN is clearly trying to broaden their appeal by becoming a go-to resource for more than just sports, but they're not there yet.** For example, when I received those alerts and went to the app for more information there was nothing to be found. No story, no details, nothing. I had to Google it and check Twitter to find out what was going on. And that is where the problem lies. Yes, ESPN is breaking the news but there's no follow up on their end. I have to go to other resources to get any information about what happened. If they are serious about taking that next step into the mainstream consciousness for anything other than sports then they need to go in 100%. Otherwise, they will continue landing the first punch but getting pummeled for the rest of the round.


*That '70s Show? Really?
**This sentence includes there, their and they're. *Bows*

No comments:

Post a Comment