Friday, November 30, 2012

Thanksgiving

Last Thursday, I skipped out on Thanksgiving with my family for the first time ever and instead celebrated it just outside Philadelphia with Brig's sister (Sarah) and her boyfriend (Brendan). We left Thursday morning which was smart because traffic wasn't bad. We arrived early afternoon and I proceeded to get a tour of their abode. Soon enough there was football on the TV and food on our plates. The most striking thing had to be just how colorful the courses were. Purple mashed potatoes, homemade cranberry sauce, green bean casserole -- if I ever instagrammed that would have been the time. An hour or two after dinner we decided to head to the basketball court. Couple vs couple. I have some height on Brendan but Sarah has about a foot on Brig. We played hard but ended up losing 11-9. We would have our revenge.

Friday, we got up early to visit a friend of the sisters named Michele. Every year she and her husband have a tree trimming celebration the day after Thanksgiving. I got to meet her kids who just turned 3 and who were all energy. She made breakfast for us which was delicious. I had some pancakes, bacon, quiche and fruit salad. Oddly, they seemed to have an artificial Christmas tree which of course didn't need to be trimmed but we did put some lights on it.

Brig & I left to visit the Elmwood Park Zoo. It is undoubtedly the smallest zoo I have ever been to. Even Stone Zoo in Stoneham, MA (which had held that claim) was bigger. I think we knocked it out in 45 minutes, without rushing, and counting the three times we visited the cougar den hoping it would stop hiding. It was still pretty cool because we got to see a jaguar, a black jaguar, a bobcat (I like the big cats) and many more fanciful creatures.

After the zoo I was starving but we had a basketball rematch scheduled. Brig & I quickly dispatched them 11-8 and we weren't arrested even though a sign said we weren't allowed to curse on the court (oops). We went to Elevation Burger for lunch and then got ice cream. This was followed by some friends joining us at the house for a night full of drinking and Rock Band. Except Brig who went to bed hella early. Can you say lightweight?

Saturday, we were supposed to head into Philly and do the tourist-y stuff but we all decided to just have a lazy day. We watched True Lies, went to El Burrito and started Season 2 of Game of Thrones. Sunday, we said our goodbyes and had a little slower drive back but still not bad. I also got a text that my parents had bought a house in Florida. Geez, I miss one family Thanksgiving and they decide to up and leave.

1 comment:

  1. We really took our chances with the cursing on the basketball court since the police station is next to that park. I hope the weather cooperates enough to allow a Lewy park rematch in December. If not, we may have to see if we can rent the court at ST Pats and get a quick game in before hitting up Tipp Hill.

    We loved having you guys and you are welcome anytime. You should visit in nicer weather so we can spend the day at the Philly zoo. They have an amazing Big Cat exhibit that's about the size of the Elmwood Park Zoo.

    ReplyDelete