Monday, January 30, 2012

Book Review: Knuckler: My Life with Baseball’s Most Confounding Pitch

by: Tim Wakefield (w/ Tony Massarotti)

If I only make one point in this blog post it’s that I don’t like being lied to. The author is listed as Tim Wakefield. The subtitle is “My Life with Baseball’s Most Confounding Pitch.” So imagine my surprise to find that this book is written entirely in the third person. Hell, Wakefield is quoted in his own book. The author wouldn’t need to quote himself because he is the one saying it! What a crock.

As a biography, this book is fine. It focuses on the amazing career of Wakefield while also delving into previous Red Sox seasons. I liked that Massarotti didn’t ignore what else was going on at the time around Wakefield. That is as important to his story as anything.

Nothing made me laugh harder than this line right here. I forgot how exciting it seemed at the time but just how terrible it all was in hindsight. Good thing Theo Epstein drafted well:

"Fortified during an off-season in which club ownership and management committed in excess of $200 million to long-term contracts for outfielder J.D. Drew, shortstop Julio Lugo, and Japanese pitching import Daisuke Matsuzaka."

No comments:

Post a Comment