Thursday, January 16, 2014

Movie Review Roundup

You're probably aware that Oscar nominations were announced today. You're also probably aware that I didn't post in this blog between June and December last year. Here is a completely-unrelated-to-the-Oscars review of the movies I saw in theaters but didn't blog about!*

This is the End
Probably the funniest movie of the year. I love this group of guys and their sense of humor. And it did a great job of freaking out the audience too.

Don Jon
I'm a big JGL fan (The Babbler thinks he should play me in a movie) and of course wanted to see his writing and directorial debut. I'm also a huge fan of Scarlett (already a great name, no need for "ScarJo") so I was in. The trailers made it look like a fun rom-com; instead it was VERY different. I can't really say anymore than that.

Gravity
Best film of the year. I knew I would love it the first time I saw the trailer. I am fascinated with space. But the movie still blew me away. I have no idea how they filmed it. Not a freaking clue. And I was literally on the edge of my seat the entire time. I didn't even notice until the end when I had to unfurl my hands from the armrests. It was like I hadn't breathed in 90 minutes. So intense.

Anchorman 2
I had heard mixed reviews going in but Anchorman is my movie. Whenever I get together with my college roommates we quote Anchorman non-stop. This will never end. So I went into Anchorman 2 not expecting the same level of ridiculousness and memorable one-liners but I was pleasantly surprised. And all the cameos! Totally worth it.



*Yes, I only went to the movies 4 times in 8 months. FML

1 comment: