Monday, May 20, 2013

Movie Review: The Great Gatsby

I thought the previews for this movie looked good, albeit extremely Baz Luhrmann-y. My only experience with him was Moulin Rouge (and this) and I couldn't get through more than 30 minutes of that movie. But Leonardo DiCaprio cures all and the REAL Spider-Man (take that, Eduardo Saverin) was in fine form.

I really liked 'Gatsby'. It was visually arresting and felt both contemporary and roaring at the same time. I was kind of sick of the phrase "old sport" by the end but I must confess I didn't read the book -- maybe that's why my tolerance was low. Brig thought it stayed surprisingly true to the book and since it is still being taught in English classes 85+ years later, that's probably a good move.

I think I came away most impressed by Joel Edgerton. I didn't know him from anything (apparently he was in Star Wars Episodes II & III but I don't remember him) but he seemed to perfectly embody his character. And while this wasn't exactly a star-making role for Carey Mulligan, I still love her from An Education and recommend that highly. I don't want to end this review by recommending a different movie so go see this too!

1 comment:

  1. Are you sick of how I keep calling Binxy ol' sport? b/c I don't see that stopping anytime soon...

    ReplyDelete